Thursday, February 22, 2018

Slater's 4 Wheel Coach Build 1

  Operating the railway over the Holidays,  there occurred to me something obvious was missing from the Time Table !  Ah yes,  we've got the station and platforms built at Windrush Junction,  but we haven't any Coaches to form the 9:15 to Boxer Bay !   The Railway has been officially opened to traffic now for over a year !   Col. Stephens to the rescue !    He has secured for the B.B.R., 2 nice 4 wheel coaches,  in good condition,  and not badly priced.  They're a bit old,  built in the 1890s.  but no matter,  a quick spruce up (build up) and they'll be as good as we need.

  This is my first coach kit,  a Slater's GWR 3rd Class Diagram S9  # 7C04.   GWR constructed most of these from 1891 to 1902.    This coach is destined to be painted and lettered for the B.B.R.,   GWR enthusiasts just turn your heads away and don't look !   I like the style of these coaches,  and I think they'll fit in with my free lance light railway.  The Kit is multimedia, plastic body and details,  brass details and chassis parts,  Lost wax brass fittings.   So far construction has been fairly straightforward and I'm enjoying it very much.  Directions are okay,  a few more photos or diagrams would have been useful.   For £79 or about $100 USD,  I believe it good value,  as Mansell wheels are included.  Still deciding on a paint scheme,  but I'm close to a nice dark blue with black chassis,  very similar to the S&D livery.  When in doubt,  copy the best !
A quick look at some of the main components of the kit

Construction so far,  going together better then I thought it would,  approx 1 hour into the build


No comments:

Post a Comment