Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Cheap Buffer Stops

 I really enjoy looking for ways to save money on my hobby,  and couldn't pass up a cheap project for my dockside,  Lima buffer stops.   I could shell out $25 / $30 plus for a nice kit,  prototypical accurate etc..  but being on a limited budget in O scale,  I need to cut corners.  Your hobby can be as cheap or expensive as you want it to be.  Overall these are nice pieces from Lima of Italy,  of long long ago.   I modified the modernish European buffers by removing them,  sanding and fitting a solid wood beam.  Also a repaint with acrylics,  and some weathering with washes / powders made an improvement.  Final touch was a new top layer of ballast.  Overall very happy with them and the total cost,  for 2 buffer stops,  including shipping  was  $6 USD !   Who said O is expensive !


No comments:

Post a Comment